Image by Allie's.Dad via Flickr
I should’ve taken a picture, but everyone was starving so I’ll have to make it again and take a picture. But it was awesome, so going to share it!
Ingredients / Shopping List
- 20 Asparagus Spears
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Garlic Cloves
- Ravioli/Tortellini ( Follow package instructions )
- Almond Meal
- Grated Parmesan
- Egg Whites
- Butter / Cooking Oil
- Basil Flakes, Salt, Pepper, Garlic Salt
- Purchased Pesto Sauce
If you’re using pre-cooked chicken, start this first! Roast Asparagus Recipe
How to Prepare Paleo Chicken Nuggets
I pre-cooked my chicken and sliced it a few days ago, and used leftovers. I won’t cover in depth how to cook the chicken, but I boiled mine in water. Use a meat thermometer to ensure your meat gets to the safe consuming temperature!
- Heat cooking oil/butter in a large deep fry skillet.
- Mix Almond Meal, Parmesan, Basil, Garlic Salt, Pepper in a bowl.
- Place chicken slices/strips in a ziplock baggie and add egg whites. You want enough to cover the chicken so that the almond meal sticks to each piece.
- Drain excessive liquid from chicken baggie and then add dry mixture.
- Coat chicken thoroughly with mixture and then add to skillet. ( Watch for oil pops! )
- Cook chicken until brown on all sides, then set aside on a towel and cover.
How to Prepare Veggie Pesto Cream Sauce
- Heat over medium cooking oil/butter in a sautee pan.
- Add mushroom slices, onion ( sliced, diced, you choose ! ), pressed garlic to pan and cook on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cover for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While veggies are sautee-steaming, mix 1/4 Cup Almond Meal, 2+ Tbsp Pesto Sauce, 1/4 Cup Milk or Heavy Cream ( if using Heavy Cream, add 1/4 Cup water ) in a bowl.
- Add cream sauce and cooked ravioli to pan, coating everything evenly. Heat over low-medium heat for a couple minutes and serve.
Fresh Veggie and other ingredients. Didn't use Flaxseed meal.
Peeled and cut up potatoes to boil.
Sliced veggies and unwrapped chicken
Heating butter and boiling potatoes
Cooking the chicken, getting it white on both sides before adding chicken broth and veggies.
The southern belle in me comes out with the fried veggies... "This can't be healthy" --Mike
I failed to take a picture of me coating the veggies, but just imagine a bunch of parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper in a big ziplock baggie, also filled with egg-white covered veggie chips.
Steaming the veggies and chicken
Mashed the potatoes, waiting for butter to melt.
Browning the chicken, because white boiled chicken just looks scary.
Still 'marinating' the veggies while browning the chicken, potatoes are waiting...
Parmesan Chicken Strips
Pesto Mashed Potatoes
Eggplant Parmesan recipe – modified, Fried in a pan instead of oven baked.
Cook Time: 20mins
- 1 Pesto Sauce mix packet
- 1 package pre-cooked chicken strips
- 8 oz spinach, tomato veggie fettucine
- finely chopped onions ( your choice on amount )
- finely chopped garlic ( I used a press – your choice on amount )
- dash of ginger and cayenne pepper
- 1 jar (6.5 oz) of marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan
- Start cooking pasta. Add 1tsbp of artichoke heart marinade ( just the juice ) to skillet. Stir in onions and cook for 2 mins. Add garlic, cook until garlic is brown.
- Add chicken and rest of artichoke hearts & marinade to skillet. Continue cooking until chicken is heated thoroughly.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the Pesto Sauce mix, follow directions on packet.
- Once chicken is cooked, add to drained pasta pan.
- Add Parmesan cheese and pesto sauce mix to pan and toss.
So I tried a recipe out of the bettycrocker cookbook again but it didn’t turn out as planned, the sauce I had intended to have didn’t thicken properly, so Mike came to the rescue saved the day. We strained the sauce that wasn’t thickening and added the pesto to it.
Turned out alright. It was better than the crap I had at Olive Garden so I figured I would post it here.
Image property of bettycrocker.com
1 box (4.7 ounces) Betty Crocker® au gratin potatoes
1 package of “Eat Right” Chicken strips
2 1/4 cups hot chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
1 bag (12 oz) Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ mixed veggies
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Sparingly added salt, pepper, and ginger
This recipe was a great success. Using the chicken broth really added a load of flavor.
Verdict: 5 / 5 Spoons